Plants vs. Pets – 6 Toxic Plants to Keep Away From Dogs and Cats

September 18th, 2017

07-23128

What do you do when you’re not feeling well? If you grew up in Ireland, you were taught that a glass of 7up could get rid of many illnesses, from an upset stomach to a hangover. Unfortunately, dogs and cats don’t have access to this wise advice, and sometimes they end up eating flowers and plants that may be poisonous to them.

Many pets, especially puppies and kittens, have this habit out of curiosity or when they are not feeling very well. When they are adults, they can ingest leaves and flowers while looking for new adventures or, even, to draw the attention of their owners.

Some of the ornamental plants we grow at home may seem harmless, but some species become toxic to animals when ingested. This does not mean that people who own pets cannot have plants at home. It simply means that you should be in choosing your plants, and the arrangements should be kept in places that are difficult to be reached. To prevent possible accidents and the consequent sickness of your pet, get to know these six species below.

6 Toxic Plants to Keep Away From Dogs and Cats

Lilies (all varieties) – Lilies are not toxic to dogs. However, they are extremely poisonous to cats. The lovely, fragrant and colourful flowers can cause big damage, even if a small amount is ingested, within one hour of consumption. If you don’t bring your cat to a vet, it can lead to kidney failure and death.  Best advice: Keep lilies away from your cats!

Daffodils – They’re a sign that the winter is over and spring is coming. While a bunch of daffodils can represent joy and bring warmth to our hearts, it may cause intense abdominal pain, hypersalivation, diarrhoea, and vomiting. If ingested in large amounts, it causes seizures, low blood pressure, and cardiac arrhythmia.

Tulips - Although very popular, tulips are also toxic and its bulb is harmful mainly for cats or dogs that dig. Some of the common symptoms after its ingestion are nausea, vomiting, and gastric irritation but it also can damage the central nervous system, causing drooling, convulsions, and cardiac abnormalities. Keep an eye out for worsening symptoms.

dog-tulips-flowers-1

Chrysanthemum – Well known for its strong fragrance, these flowers are not likely to cause death, but some discomfort, dermatitis, and loss of coordination. Other symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, and hypersalivation.

Aloe Vera – This amazing plant is one of the best choices for damaged hair and sunburnt skin. Its benefits are not extendable to dogs and cats, though. The symptoms can vary from vomiting and change in urine colour to diarrhoea, tremors and even depression.

Carnations – Like Chrysanthemums, the Carnation isn’t the most poisonous, but it can cause mild gastrointestinal signs, inflammation in the mouth and dermatitis.

If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic plant or flower, do not try any “home recipe” like giving milk to the animal or inducing vomiting. Besides not working, they can make the situation worse. So, take your furry friend to the vet ASAP.

Reader Comments...

No Comments.

Leave a Comment...

Current ye@r *